One of the world’s top research-intensive universities
The University of Edinburgh is one of the world’s top research-intensive universities, ranked 4th in the UK for research power (Times Higher Education's REF power ratings), with 90% of our research activity classified as world leading or internationally excellent in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework.
Discover our research
Explore the work of our world-class researchers across a range of cross-disciplinary areas.
A-Z of research centres and institutes
Edinburgh Innovations provides research and commercialisation expertise to industry, funders, licensees and investors.
- Cold viruses may have helped curb Africa’s Covid-19 deaths
- Radiotherapy optional for older breast cancer patients
- Covid-19 death risk still high for some patients
- Asthma risk unaltered by taking extra vitamin D
- Antarctic ice sheet retreat slowed by ocean changes
- Volunteers needed to boost study into nation’s health
- Violence was widespread in early farming society
How the University community is making its mark upon the world through its research, innovation, ideas and actions.